Saturday, September 20, 2014

Behind the thin blue line...

Today is a day to Thank the men and women who put on that police uniform day in and day out. A day to thank them for their service. A day to thank them for their protection. A day to thank them for their patience. A day to thank them for their sacrifices. A day to thank them for their presence. A day to thank them for putting the lives of others above their own. A day to thank them for doing a job well done. So...THANK YOU!!

Being the wife of a State Trooper is not something I dreamed about as a little girl. I'm not going to lie...this lifestyle is hard! However...as hard as it is...I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

What I did dream about as a little girl was having a husband who loved me unconditionally. A husband who supported me and believed in me. A husband who wanted to walk this life by my side...not in front of or behind me, but side by side. A husband who loved the Lord and would put his faith above everything else. A husband who made me a better person. A husband who would keep me safe. All those things I prayed for and dreamed about came true...they just so happened to be wrapped up in the package of an amazing man, who had the same dreams for a wife...and who also dreamed of being a police officer. My dreams came true! But not only did I get the man of my dreams but I also got my hero. 

Sure there are long nights...or short nights...depending on how you look at it. Sure we have crazy schedules. Sure there are lonesome holidays. Sure there are quiet meals. Sure there are lots of hectic nights getting the kids ready for bed. Sure there are unanswered phone calls. Yet with all that, there's nothing I would change. Because all of that comes with the job and without that job he wouldn't be doing what he is called to do. He was made for this. When he puts on that uniform, he's a different man. I can only imagine what it's like to see him on the other side. I know what sets him off. I know his pet peeves are. I know what is has zero tolerance for and what he might let slide. Those that get to see him in their rear view mirror with those lovely blue, red and white lights flashing, get a quick course on what some of those things are. 

You would think after he comes home and the uniform comes off that he would relax but it just doesn't happen. Of course he's more laid back but he's always on point. Listening. Watching. Observing. I'm always amazed when we are driving down the road and meet a car, going the opposite direction, and he can tell me if the plate is valid and what the expiration date is, if it was male or female driving and also color and make of the vehicle. All in a matter of seconds. CRAZY!! I'm doing good with just the color and if it's a car, truck or SUV. Of course there's going out to eat. He must always be facing the door. He is always making eye contact with those around him. Taking in every detail. Listening to conversations going on around him. Yet still staying present. Still communicating and carrying a conversation with his own family. Still helping with meals. I have just learned that even though his eyes are wondering and looking around, he is still paying attention to me. And the hardest thing to get used to...the gun. It didn't come easy. For the longest time, when he was in uniform I would only hug around his neck. It just wasn't right to touch a gun while hugging him. As time passed the uneasiness was replaced with comfort. Now, there's a sense of peace knowing it's there...ready for him if he ever needs it.

In light of the situation in Ferguson, I appreciate everyday a little bit more. I appreciate our freedom a little bit more. I appreciate his job a little bit more. I appreciate the life we live a little bit more. Of course we have always talked and prayed about him coming home safe every day/night. I had never really thought about how other events could be so life changing. I can't wrap my mind around not being able to do the job of your dreams because you did your job. Mind boggling!

I am so proud of my husband. I am so proud to be his wife. I am honored to be a LEOW (law enforcement officers wife). My love for him and my faith in Christ is what makes me the best wife for this job...for our life. I am so grateful that I am able to kiss him before he leaves for work and be home to greet and kiss him when his shift ends. Sure there are times when I worry, but I am thankful that those times are few and far between. This is the perfect life for me!

So the next time you see an officer...Thank them. It doesn't have to be a special day. But it's an easy way to make their day special.

The journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment