Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A new me

I haven't felt much like blogging in the past year but I've been itching to get back into it. It now will consist of life lessons I've experienced. It is my hope that those who read my blog will feel enlightened or at least come away knowing you aren't alone and it's never to late to better yourself. Some posts may be in reference to soul searching or me just putting out there the good days and the bad. From hormonal moments to parenting issues. Some posts will touch base with my journey to a better me...whether it be lifestyle, spiritual or mental change.

So here's my first post. It will consist of my journey to start exercising.

Back in May I was scrolling my news feed on Facebook and saw where someone was "attending an event". The event was a 30-day ab challenge, starting June 1st. I decided meh...I'll give it a try. I have never been one to stick with any exercise routine. I always start off strong and then fade after a few days. This time was different. I was ready. I really wanted to do this. I began to talk to my hubby about it and told him I was hoping to loose 10 pounds during the 30 days. He is much more realistic about things and he was super supportive. He said you can do it but 10 pounds is a lot for one month, especially considering I had done zero exercising in over a year. I thought about what he said and decided that I wouldn't stress about the scale. That was it...decision made. I would do this...and I would finish it!!

I decided I wanted to take a before and after picture. I am a visual person so I figured if I could compare pictures along the way and could see results it would give me more reason to stick with it. I would recommend it to anyone. As disgusted as you may feel doing it, you will be glad you did. And there will be no going back to take it later. I have decided to share my before picture. It is not pretty but it is reality. It's the result of two babies and very little activity.

Day One | June 1, 2014
I didn't have huge expectations. I really just wanted to finish what I started. To prove to myself that I could. I was constantly fighting the urge to take another picture. I didn't want to take a picture to soon and not see any change. I was dealing with my cycle shortly after beginning, so a week into it there was bloating and I definitely didn't want to capture that. So I waited thirteen days. I couldn't believe it. There was actual change. It was a huge boost to my self esteem. I was so driven and determined and convinced I could totally finish it. I couldn't wait to see what I would look like at the end of 30 days. Of course the hubby was so supportive. He knows how easy I give up, so to have him cheering me on was a huge help. I even got to the point of doing my exercises with him in the room. He did at one point have to remind me to put my butt down while doing a plank but he was so sweet about it. I believe his actual words were, "When we had to do planks in the academy, we had to keep our body in a straight line." I said, that's what I'm doing. He then proceeded to show me what I was supposed to do and what I was actually doing. lol. He was totally right. I could definitely feel the burn when I did it the right way.

I am a creature of habit. I want to be realistic about my journey. I don't want to get overwhelmed and I don't want to set unrealistic goals. I know myself and I know that making drastic changes will only lead to me throwing in the towel and becoming discouraged. With that in mind, that is why I choose to just focus on the "one" body part. It was the best decision I could have made for myself. I also don't do well with "you can't". So I already do not over indulge in food so I didn't want to limit myself as to what I could and couldn't eat. I have maintained the same "diet" as I always have. Three balanced meals and a snack before bed. I am horrible about staying hydrated too. So, yes, I enjoyed an evening snack of Doritos's. I know if I cut them out and would eat fruit instead I would see more results. Baby steps. :) In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my cheesy snack.

The past 30 days went by so fast. In just these thirty short days, exercise has become something that I look forward to. I don't do much for myself, so I have developed a passion for it. I love that my own efforts are making the change. I don't have to rely on anyone or any machine to physically help me. Just me, my mind and my muscles. Very empowering! I would say to anyone who doesn't think they could do it. Surprise yourself...and just do it. I did my exercises while watching my guilty pleasures on TV. Since I shared my before picture it was a no brain er to share my after picture. I am by no means perfect and I have lots of room for improvement but I am so happy with the results...in just 30 short days!
Day 30 | June 30, 2014
I hope someone out there can be inspired and motivated to better themselves. You can do it!

Here's a side by side comparison:

Now that I have this new drive for a better me, I have decided to keep it going. For the month of July, I have decided to work on my legs. I will continue to keep up my ab workout but will be focusing 90% of my efforts on my legs...specifically my thighs. I look forward to sharing my results at the end of the month. Stay tuned. :)

The journey continues...

2 comments: